ArcusIT Press Launch
Last April 14, 2011, I was invited by ArcusIT to their “Arcus:IT Presss Launch” at The Peninsula Manila, Makati City. Arcus IT is a Philippine-based cloud infrastructure provider that delivers cloud-computing solutions designed to meet the uniquire requirements of Philippine businesses. They provide cloud computing services such as Infrastructure as a Services (IaaS), storage, and Software as a Services (SaaS) solutions that enables business owner to focus on their core operations of their businesses.
What is Cloud Computing?
As defined by Mr. Jojo Colina, Chief Technology Officer of ArcusIT, Cloud Computing is a new solution of acquiring and operating computing infrastructure, software and IT services.
Key Characteristics of Cloud Computing
He characterized cloud computing as:
1. Virtualization – the ability to create the illusion of infinite capacity
2. Abstraction of the infrastructure so applications are not locked into devices or locations.
3. Pay-as-you-go usage of IT services.
Benefits of Cloud Computing
Mr. Colina further explains the key benefits of Cloud Computing to business:
1. It Changes perception of Cloud Computing
2. Enables IT to accelerate profitable growth
3. Create a more predictable cost model
4. Avoid missed business opportunities from under-provisioning or over provisioning
5. Create increased efficiency leading to a proactive operations.
6. Enhance Security.
Cloud Computing Model
1. Infrastructure as a Service – rather than purchasing servers, software, data-center space or network equipment, clients instead buy those resources as a fully outsourced service.
2. Platform as a Service – facilitates deployment of applications without the cost and complexity of buying and managing the underlying hardware and software layers.
3. Software as a Service – offers software as service such as Payroll, Inventory System, Point-of-Sales, CRM, and a lot more…
Cloud computing allows consumers and businesses to use applications without installation and access their personal files at any computer with internet access. This technology allows for much more efficient computing by centralizing storage, memory, processing and bandwidth. If carefully planned deploying cloud computing solutions will be very cost effective and on-demand solutions for SME paying only technology that they needed and when they need it.